Thursday, March 29, 2012

Three Weeks In, and the Horns are Blaring

This post was written in June 2010, during my time volunteering with VE Global in Santiago, Chile.

Alexa Mieses
New York, USA

The roar of plastic horns and shouting filled the air as I awoke to the sound of hundreds of ecstatic Chilean soccer fans. Chile had triumphed in their first Mundial (World Cup) match. Upon embarking on my journey to volunteer at Colegio Anakena, I saw hundreds of people painted red, white and blue. I could not help but begin to feel a bit excited, and given that I cannot explain what a red card penalty is, it was clear I had given in to World Cup madness. Mundial fever is infectious here in Chile, which has already begun to feel like home. I cannot believe it has only been three weeks since I arrived.

This trip marks the first time that I have traveled alone for an extended period of time. Though I generally adjust well to new situations, I did not know what to expect. What I’ve discovered thus far is that Chile is a warm and friendly country, and VE Global only made my transition easier. Orientation took place last week and each day served to teach the new volunteers about VE Global’s mission and work. VE orientation was more than just cheesy icebreakers; orientation consisted of seminars lead by local professionals to inform the new volunteers about the Chilean social system and children’s rights, and to better prepare us for what we will endure during our time in our institutions and in Santiago. VE also conducted a seminar on typical Chilean cuisine and even hosted a seminar on Chilean slang, or Chilenismos—que bakan!

In addition to teaching the new volunteers about VE Global and Chile, orientation also served to foster relationships among both the new volunteers and the antiguos. Antiguos are volunteers that have been with VE for at least three months and they are the driving force behind VE culture. They are the warmth in the office and the energy we take with us to our institutions. Antiguos not only offer their knowledge but their kindness and a listening ear. In just one short week I have not only learned a lot from the antiguos but also consider them my friends. VE attracts a certain type of personality which translates into a warm and welcoming work/volunteer community. I am excited to see what the rest of my time with VE will bring!

No comments:

Post a Comment